Go Back   CerealBits.com - The cereal box & premium collecting forum > WISH LIST > Non-Cereal Boxes wanted
Register FAQPLEASE DONATE Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2010, 02:42 PM
King Vitaman

Send a message via AIM to DustinCropsBoy
Default Looking for Elf brand products.

Most kids growing up in the midwest in the '70s have a great affection for Elf soda. Elf was a generic regional brand started in 1968 and distributed by Preferred Products, which is a subsidiary of SuperValu food wholesalers (Hopkins, MN).

Only recently did I discover that Elf made all sorts of products! And now I want them ALL!

Here is my collection so far (I JUST started looking a few weeks ago).

The soda cans are somewhat easy to find, as there were a lot of soda can collectors in the 70s and 80s.

As for the tuna, I think there was a warehouse find of unused labels or something - as they are pretty easy to come by.

I went to Target this morning to find some tuna cans to put my labels on - and found out that tuna cans are a lot smaller or a lot bigger than they were back when. I ended up finding some canned crab meat that was the perfect size, had a nice vintage goldish tint to the metal, no modern pull tab and even had the straight bottom - rather than the more modern beveled bottom (for easy stacking). The only problem - these cans of crab meat were $7 each!

Anyway - if anyone here has any Elf products - I'd be interested in buying them, or at the very least, knowing what exists! Thanks

Set fashion, not follow - Spit vitriol, not swallow
Old 04-23-2010, 02:38 AM
opiecrunch

I grew up in Chicago. Graduated from HS in 75 and I'm sorry but never heard of them. They are cool though.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:55 AM
King Vitaman

Send a message via AIM to DustinCropsBoy

Huh... maybe it only stayed in MN? I'll ask some Wisc., Iowa, N&S Dakota & Michigan friends.

Set fashion, not follow - Spit vitriol, not swallow
Old 04-23-2010, 04:36 AM
Administrator

I gotta say, I don't remember them from Nebraska, so they might not have made it that far west, either. Not too surprising, though.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:19 AM
Sugar Sweetened

I remember Elf pop very well growing up in Wisconsin. Elf pop and Holiday pop were the fun, cheap sodas available in cans back in the 70's. It was the soda given out to kids on the last day of school along with stale hot dogs and ice cream cups with the wooden spoons. I don't remember the tuna though.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Sugar Sweetened

Default Elf

Never had Elf in the Ohio/Kentucky/Tennessee area that I remember.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Sugar Frosted

I grew up in the Chicago area (born there in '65) and I do recall Elf pretty well. Probably not the first choice of soda in my house (didn't have much, but when it did it was probably Canfield's), but I do recall it. Of course, I could have seen it when I was visiting my grandmother in Albert Lea, MN too, so perhaps I can't say for certainty I saw it in Illinois.
Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM
No Sugar Added

Default Elf Soda

I grew up in Big Lake, MN and remember Elf soda very well. I miss it! I wish it was still being produced. I also remember Holiday soda..(polka dotted cans). I recall a can of Elf soda being 25 cents. I also have missed The Pop Shoppe, and I see that is making a comeback.....